Monday, October 17, 2011

Suzi Blu Canvas - Student's work



One of the reasons I love rubber stamping is that I can only draw stick figures!  I wish I could draw but until that happens I will use rubber stamp images to be creative.  Suzi Blu has some really cute girly stamps which are rather large to be used on the everyday greeting card BUT they are the perfect size to create artful canvas paintings.


In my "Artful Creations by You!" class at Monrovia Community Center,  I taught a couple of ways they can be used.  The picture above shows the almost final results of two of my students.  For this canvas, this is what we did:


1) Stamp on tissue paper using StazOn Ink. (Don't forget to put a sheet of paper under it before stamping to absorb the excess ink.)  Let it thoroughly dry a few minute or so.

2) Make sure to use gesso or gel matte medium to seal your canvas because it is absorbent.  

3) Once it's dry, add another coat of gesso or GMM then place your stamped tissue paper on the canvas, use your brush to press the tissue paper to the canvas working from the center to the outside.  Don't worry if it leaves a crease or two, it only adds to the texture of the canvas. 

4) After it dries, paint using watercolor crayons, acrylics, chalk, or any combination.  Add words either with tissue paper or stamping words on paper and cutting them out. 


There are many ways to display this work of art: pop it in a frame, display it on an easel, punch holes (use a heavy duty punch) at the top two corners and use ribbon to hang.


Yes! I will be teaching this class in the Winter, Check out Monrovia's Community Brochure for all the details. Monrovia Community Classes pages 8-9 are my classes!!!

No comments: